Sunday, December 14, 2008

What I've been up to and what's around the corner

I have been home for about three months now. I think I have made as good an adjustment as is possible. I was asked by a friend recently to post about my time at home so everyone stay in the know. Here is the Cliff notes version:

Upon returning home, it looked like I had a job lined up with my previous employer. I interviewed for a position as a probation officer and was offered the position at the end of the interview. I accepted and my hire packet was forwarded to Richmond for final approval. While waiting for all the approval signatures, the Governor of Virginia instructed all state offices to suspend all hiring in process due to the current financial problems that state is experiencing. What seemed like a sure thing from God was removed as an option for work. So, I continued to look for employment. I have applied at a number of places with no success. I am now pursuing the option of substitute teaching for the Lynchburg City School system and that seems promising.

In the meantime, I have been volunteering at a local elementary school with ESL students, helping local Mexican immigrants with reading/speaking English and translating for them in various settings. I have also been doing some computer work for Cuirim Outreach and am working with another person to develop a website for Cuirim Outreach. I have been annoyed and then accepting of the uncertain situation I am in currently. It is very much a time of learning for me and I believe that God is using this time to refine my character. Even with the uncertainty, it seems to me that God wants me to wait and be patient for what he is doing with my life. And, instead of being pushy like I usually am, I am getting a little better at waiting.

To that end, it seems like a good idea to make a return visit to Nogales from January 14 through February 4. I will be helping to distribute the Christmas shoe boxes to the kids in Nogales as well as working a bit on the drug rehab center and watching for ministry opportunities to our neighbors in Nogales. I also hope to visit an orphanage south of Nogales.

Please pray for my time in Nogales. I am still trying to figure out what God is doing specifically with me and I believe that my trip to Nogales will move me toward a better understanding of what I should be doing in 2009. If you want to donate any money toward the costs of this trip, you can make a check payable to Cuirim Outreach, Inc. with my name in the memo line.

Thanks for praying for me and for caring about Nogales.

No comments: