Monday, March 2, 2009

Christmas in January

Hi folks -

This is going to be a quick update on my trip to the Cuirim House in January. I went to deliver Christmas shoe boxes for the children who eat at the Kid's Cafe. It was great to be back and I found that I easily got back into speaking Spanish. The weather was great, the food was fantastic and the fellowship was sweet. I really do miss my friends in Mexico.

We had about 200 shoe boxes filled with toys, crayons, little toys, candies and other goodies. We were especially happy that so many people made boxes for teens. Miguel, the cook for the Kid's Cafe, took a break for a picture as the Christmas shoe boxes began to pile up inside the Kid's Cafe.


The kids lined up who had just finished eating and participating in a Bible story.
They lined up boys in one line and girls in another. We had already arranged the boxes by gender and age group so they could be more smoothly distributed. The kids eagerly accepted their boxes with a thank you. The children arrayed themselves all over the property as they opened their boxes to enjoy the gifts inside.







The 3 week trip was primarily to deliver the Christmas boxes and to help the ministry plan for the summer work projects. However, another reason that I went was to listen intently to God as to whether I should return to the work in Nogales after the job I was offered in Virginia did not materialize. To be completely honest, I arrived in Nogales expecting God to be very clear with me that I should return to Nogales. In my mind, I had already been figuring how to tie up loose ends back in Virginia and had a tentative renter for my house. While in Nogales, Ramon, the pastor of the Mexican church, officially requested by letter that I work with them again. All external signs seem to point to Nogales. However, to my surprise, the answer from God was to wait some more. So, that is what I will do.

No comments: