Saturday, January 9, 2010

Praises from everyone tongue, tribe and nation


When I returned from Mexico in late 2008, I wondered how long I would be in the U.S. and what would I do while I'm here. As you might remember, I couldn't find gainful employment so I used the time to volunteer in a couple of capacities. One was helping a Hispanic student with reading English at a local elementary school. The other way was being available to Hispanics in Lynchburg to assist in translation, completion of forms that are in English, explaining the legal process for those with traffic tickets and the like. God really opened doors for me and I used the 8 months of unemployment by employing myself in serving the Hispanic community as God gave me opportunities.

I had spoken to the leadership at my home church about developing a Hispanic outreach. After praying and considering this step, it seemed that I should join an existing Hispanic outreach that was run by Hispanics. I visited a couple of Hispanic churches and spoke to the pastors to get a sense about what is important to them and what was their motivation for reaching out. I kept sensing that I should visit the Hispanic ministry at Thomas Road Baptist Church (TRBC). I dismissed the idea out of hand because of my own personal chip on the shoulder with TRBC that I've had since graduating from Liberty University. But the Holy Spirit continued to move my thinking toward TRBC. I attended a Bible study attended by believers from the TRBC Hispanic ministry and felt even more strongly the I should visit the church but I dragged my feet.

I obtained gainful employment in July 2009 and at the same time decided to visit the Hispanic ministry at TRBC. WOW!!! Within three Sundays, God confirmed to me that the ministry was teaching Scripture, not someone's interpretation of Scripture. At one service the pastor was very clear that we are called to serve others and suffer with them. WOW again!! The name of the Hispanic ministry is Nuevo Amanecer (it means a new dawn) and it is really a church within a church. There are Bible studies throughout the week and visitation on Fridays. Most of what I do is transport folks to church on Sundays and to one of the weekly Bible studies. I recently approached one man from Honduras who is a newish believer to meet weekly and pray/study Scripture. God has blessed me greatly and I have great joy in serving and worshiping Jesus Christ with my Hispanic brothers and sisters. Jesus Christ is lifted up to the highest place at Nuevo Amanecer and his spirit is present with us.

Now, the icing on the cake is that the church believes strongly in discipleship and this new year is dedicated to establishing discipling relationships within the church. I love it!! I studied and meditated about discipleship for the entire time I was in Nogales. How wonderful of God to put me in a place where I can disciple and be discipled.

No comments: